View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
Well apparently I sadly misjudged the power of a compound bow. I've seen 80 yard shots but I thought that 80 yards was right near the peak performance of a compound bow. So adding another 40+ yards and kill something. I didnt think it was possible. How far can a compound bow shoot. I appologise for my apparent ignorance and underestimation of the performance of a bow.

im not sure what changed your mind exactly, but its good to see you have learned something in this. the truth is that a compound is a far more effective tool at 100 plus yards than a crossbow ever could be. its all in the physics of the longer lighter arrow. ballistic coefficient is a term that even applies in archery.

but anyway, as for the question, i have pins to 70 on my bow and can toss arrows into a 6 inch foam dessert plate until i get bored of it. someone else stated the reason why thats a good idea. i wouldnt shoot at an animal past 50 for any reason other than to follow up a shot that may not have been perfect. there is just so much that can go wrong in the time it takes an aroow to get where i aimed it. just because the arrow went where i told it to, doesnt mean that the target is still in the same place. that and down on the prairies here, the wind will change your effectivce range any given day. the last mule buck i drew on was at 27, but the way the wind was howling that afternoon, i chose not to risk a disaster.

ethics discussions always end up this way. some blowhard thinkin his way is the only way. i think a few people need to look up the definition of ETHICS and OPINION and realize that just because someone else feels a different way than you, it does not make them wrong or stupid. now to argue a scientifically proven fact....well thats another thing.