Thread: Range finders
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Lots of info regarding rangefinders on the internet, and the summary of just about every review I have come across is that the Leica CRF/LRF 900 and CRF/LRF 1200 models beat most hands down. Simple to use, actually WORK to near their stated ranges, have good optics, and are accurate. If you are in the market for a rangefinder, you're in the market for a Leica.

The CRF is their new model, whereas the LRF is the older model that's been replaced by the CRF. Apparantly, they are just as good, just bulkier. If you don't mind the extra packaging, you can find these used to save a bit of coin. Both come in a 900 and 1200 yard version.

I haven't heard to much about any others that may cost even more than the Leica, but at the Leica price point and below, nothing beats it.

I have read the Leupolds are overly complicated and cumbersome to use, cycling through the electronic menus to do simple tasks.

I have heard the Bushnells often do not work to near their advertised ranges. Eg. 500 yard models only working out to about 250 yards or so, condition dependent. While it is true that a lot of the rangefinders may not reach their max yardage given certain conditions, a lot of the rangefinders out there are worse for this than others. Once again, the Leica comes closest to its stated yardage under any conditions. There are many reports of people trying their brand X rangefinder, and not being able to get a reading, while their buddy clicks away on their Leica, and get a reading not 1/2 a second later.

Hope this helps!