View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
" Potentially " is a pretty big "if"
I fish barbless to begin rarely pick up the fish I release, as do many of the people I know.
I match the tackle to the fish - I don't go after big pike with an ultralight trout rod for example.
I have only had a few days since 1962 where I have caught 100 fish in a day as well, that is a big number.
Never kissed a fish either now that I think of it.
Cat
I don't pick them out of the water if I don't have to either. But if the fish has the hook in his mouth rather than in the lips, doesn't even have to be that deep in his throat, you have to pick the fish up. If you are ice fishing you need to pick the fish up. If the fish gets flopping around and gets away from you time is wasted, if its a pike he will undoubtedly clamp his mouth shut and then you need to get out the jaw spreaders... and on it goes.

I fish 2-3 times a week most of the year, except for hunting season. I let hundreds of fish go a year and I know how to do it gently, but being honest with myself and everyone else, the next fish you catch is always a crap shoot. If he takes the hook deep, or in the wrong spot, or the release doesn't go well... chances are he might not survive. It all depends on the species and the method, but I'd hazard an honest guess that on average I probably kill 1 in 20 fish at least. If you do a lot of fishing that adds up.