Thread: Travers Closure
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

I've been a long time lurker and signed up not to long ago so I could view pictures. I have never really felt the urge to post until now. I fully 100% supposrt this closure, in fact I would love it to be until June 30. I really do appreciate the concern for kids, I don't have any myself but I have nieces who love to fish, in fact I just finished loading up and wrapping a pink tacklebox for one of their bdays. I would like to see it closed from the boat launch west including the dock. What's the point of closing anything if we aren't going to protect them for post spawn when they are tired and susceptible to dieing easy? I've fished in the river, it was open so I took advantage of it. I admit to fishing there but I'm totally fine with closing it so we have a better fishery for years to come. Gramps you say that people are being hypocritical because they say close the arm and are worried about keeping the fish safe during pre, spawn, and post. Some of the most damage is being done by the SAWT tourny at travers, when you get 50 or more boats in the river of supposed walleye "pros" catching these vulnerable fish it takes a major toll. If we don't protect the fish here there won't be a tourny in the future. So why doesn't SAWT put up their own boundaries as I'm sure they are concerned about conservation and protecting the fish, or are they more concerned about their tournament anglers catching fish and filling up the tourny? So I say close it from the launch up stream. There's plenty of oither places on Travers and surrounding waters with easy shore access. I hate seeing kids upset that they couldn't fish or catch fish but is it not better to have it closed till mid-june every year while the fishing on the reservoir still is good or do we want it so no one can catch fish off the dock or in the lake in the future because its a collapsed fishery?