View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 02:05 PM

Default RV Axel Upside Down or Bent

Hey Gents

Got a question. I have a Jayco trailer that I noticed some uneven tire wear. Toed out at the bottom giving me uneven inside wear.

My Uncle runs an RV repair business and NS so helped me work through some potential issues. I took a picture and sent it to him and he immediately said that axel appears to be installed upside down. He said, while it's rare he has seen it over the years. Based on the picture he has little doubt. The crown down is perfect. Couldn't look more natural and I am getting the same inside wear on both sides.

As I have spoken with buddies (And other RV Service departments)that have some axel experience they have suggested some points that seem to support the argument the axel may be upside down.

Points that all seem to agree on.

- Axels don't bend so perfectly. You typically see bending happen more on one side than the other and it's not uniform.

- Axel's tend to bend toward the the natural crown (up) not down.

Of course my warranty has expired or this wouldn't be an issue. I am dealing with Travelland in Airdrie and they could care less if it's installed upside down. All they know is if this is getting fixed someone else is paying for it because they are not. Some might say you don't have warranty I am SOL and that might be true. The reason I am still fighting it is that I feel that it's an improperly installed item that wouldn't be obvious to the untrained eye. Trailer works fine it's just the uneven wear on the tires.

Travel land suggests this damage is as simple of going over a road bump and the weight of the fridge and stove bent the axel. Front axel shows no damage.

I would love the input of those that have some axel experience.

Do axel's typically bend towards the natural Crown?
Do you often see axel bend with a perfect crown down?

If axel's can in fact bend perfectly like this then I might be SOL. Likely impossible to distinguish bent from improperly installed. In my opinion the axel come from Lipper with the spring seats welded on the wrong side and that mistake transferred through the whole system. Seems crazy but my uncle says he has seen it as has one other RV dealer I spoke with.

I will try to upload a picture for everyone to view.

If I am wrong feel free to say. I don't want to spend the time fight something I am wrong about.

I have reached out to Jayco head office as well. I want the answer directly from them not clensed by this dealer. They are an arrogant bunch with these red hot RV sales.

Doodle

Last edited by Doodle30; 06-23-2021 at 02:11 PM.