Thread: 7.62x39 sks
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
I *thought* they went by caliber and not casing size?

BIG GAME PROHIBITIONS

It is unlawful to

1. set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
* ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
* ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets,
* an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
* a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
* a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
* bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (click here for more information on Black Bear baiting),
* an arrow other than an authorized arrow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a bow other than an authorized bow (click here for more information on bowhunting),
* a muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre,
* a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzleloader or shotgun),
* a trap,
* a cross-bow and arrow that is not authorized (click here to view Hunting with a Cross-bow)

I thought most got in trouble for using the SKS with the non expanding bullets but I could be, and have been, wrong .
I'll admit I'm a little confused here. After I posted that, I went and looked at the reg books for 2007 and 2008, which stated the above. The regulation, as I remember it, said the calibre had to be .23, with a case lenght of 1.75 " Changing that wouldn't make any sense, to me at least, since there are a multitude of calibers out there, that fit the definition, but wouldn't be suitale for hunting Big Game. If I use this definition, there's nothing to stop me hunting moose with a rifle chambered for the .25 ACP cartridge.
Grizz