Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
[Quote:

wow! You sure like to make inflammatory comparisons! Calvin was nothing like hitler!
Agreed, he didn't kill millions. But he did have many put through a horrible death. So it's just a matter of degree, isn't it?

You know the story of the guy walking up to a girl and asking if she would sleep with him for $1 million. She thinks about it, and agrees, as she will never see that kind of money otherwise. He then asks if she would sleep with him for $100, and she slaps his face, asking if he thinks she is a prostitute.

He answers, “We already established that when you agreed to sleep with me for $1 million, now we are just negotiating the price”.

Calvin's actions were like Hitler's, we are just talking about to what degree. Hitler ordered, followers complied. Calvin ordered, followers complied. Hitler set the stage, Calvin set the stage.

And both had a philosophy to back them up.

Quote:
do you even try to understand situations / contexts / historical events? (note: Not that i am defending any of it, but lets be honest - s*** happens, and sometimes stuff happens in a situation or context that wouldn't happen at all today!)
Shiite happens? Sorry, there is no context I can fathom that justifies that. Especially if one of the perpetrators is espousing “Christian” values. That is just so wrong on so many levels. Like the Inquisition, like the Crusades, like the Taliban, and like so many other vile and despicable acts done in the name of religion.
Quote:
why do you persist in blaming god (the christian god of the bible) for stuff people do? It only shows how little you actually know and understand about him.
Seeing many that Christian leaders did and do things most of us would find repulsive “in the name of Christianity”, what other perspective is one to take? And why in the name of who ever you hold holy would you follow a person's teachings who took part in horrible crimes? I just don't get it how anyone, and I mean anyone, excuse a persons crimes because “they are just human”, and then turn around and subscribe to that person's outline of a faith.

If a person was a pedophile, would you want to subscribe to his faith teachings? Unless your answer is yes, why would you do that for a criminal who orders burnings at the stake? By excusing it “because it was the times”?

I cannot fathom that at all.

Quote:
Calvin taught truth about scripture - that the nt doesn't change the ot. It is a continuation of the story and jesus clarifies and explains the ot. The nt 'completes' the ot.
Yes, I fully understand the difference between a Calvanistic viewpoint of the NT and OT verus some other Christian sects. Although I am not quite sure how one reconciles predestination with faith. To be honest with you, I have some problems with the material/economic success being a keystone of a faith. As I do with his viewpoint on a theocratic government... Iran and the Taliban have that same viewpoint.

Quote:
wow, just wow! That's inflammatory! And dead wrong! It's also very, very , very offensive. And it shows how little you know or understand about calvin, matters of the faith he taught, true biblical faith, and i would have to conclude - a whole lot of other christian leaders throughout the ages. But you are entitled to your opinion and i will respect that.*
But both the Taliban and Calvin taught that a theocracy was good thing. Your not dening that is a keystone of Calvin's philosophy, are you?