Thread: New to hunting
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I agree fully with most of the statement except the “make yourself look as big as you can- even with grizz”.

While I have no doubt that this does often work, the potential of escalating to a dangerous encounter is huge. Particularly with a sow/cubs or a situation in which a grizzly (or even black bear) is over a carcass.

With grizzly or even the few times that I have really surprised and ticked off a black bear that begins jaw-popping at me and standing it’s ground, I talk to it and back away while watching the bear closely.

To the OP’s original question, be aware of your surroundings as you hunt, and look for fresh sign. You will be fine.

And carry a black bear tag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree with this don’t run but attempts to intimidate a bear with cubs or kill or choosing to take a firm defensive stance is not the best idea. Yes it can often work but could backfire in these cases

The slowly backing out and talking is the safest approach in my opinion. I have hunted both species and spent a lot of time in parts of BC with higher bear numbers then you will find in Alberta

Carrying a bear tag is never a bad idea