View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
I ordered a new boat, it's finally in, but I am wondering if I should throw a transom saver on that thing or not..
I plan to take that thing down gravel, so there will be washboard and crappy roads. my last boat had a little 90 johnson on it and it had one built in.

do these things really work? has anyone had a good or bad experience with them?

Thanks!
I run a 300 Verado like in your picture, and I do not like transom savers. I don't feel that they do much to protect the motor, and I use the factory motor chock on the Verado when I travel. There is vibration and movement from the trailer and the lower unit of the engine, and the transom saver in my opinion doesn't do much to stop the motor from moving. I have had them break, fall off, scuff the paint on the lower unit, wear through the rubber into a bolt(and damage the metal on the front of the lower unit - nothing a bit of filing and some phantom black couldn't fix) and get worn down pretty good on the highway. One time my big motor even came down and was dangling mere millimeters from the road. I was very lucky it didn't touch and skim off my skeg or my ss prop. The motor might not stay straight when chocked, but it's never coming off the factory chock while travelling. In all my years with boats, I have seen more issues with transom savers than without.

That being said, I ordered my boat with one last year because the guy buying it off me wanted one, so I wasn't going to argue with him. I didn't use it, but I did have it there for him and he uses it.

Chris K