View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
This is the silliest, most inept and poorly conceived legislation I've ever heard proposed in Canada.

Whether I want to purchase a life-size blow-up doll of Worf from Star Trek, or body armour or silver horns to embed in my skull, it is none of the government's business. It does not matter why I have a Klingon fetish, a desire to look like a horned bovine or a hankering to be bullet proof.

None of those acts infringe upon the rights of another citizen, nor do they have the potential to harm others, intentionally or inadvertently.

Moreover, not only can criminals order online, but that is likely the precise route they would take – other than the black market which will only be increased if this is passed.

Honestly, this is in fact worse than the gun registry because at least with that, all you needed to do was record the purchase. This means asking for permission!

This is not only an infringement on freedom, but an assault on our intelligence.
When I purchased mine, I looked on line. The vast majority were old surplus crap I would not risk my life with, and there were no restrictions on those. But the proper companies I contacted all wanted to see some reason on why I needed it before they would discuss price and shipping with me. It made no difference where the company was located, or where I was. It appears that many places in the world already restrict body armour, if not flat out ban it.

Further to this, If you tried to purchase body armour on line, there is a good chance it would be stopped at the border by customs, and you would be contacted about it.