View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
I've been carrying an original Russell since 1968, except for the year it was lost in my pasture. I believe the model is called the "Yukon Skinner". It's a dead ringer for the Grohmann #1, except for the lanyard hole in the tang.

The current Russell website doesn't show anything even close to what I've got; maybe even a different company with a coincidental name. Does anyone know the backstory? I doubt if there's a "patent" per se on a blade shape or style, glad to see Grohmanns producing them.

When I first got it, I thought it looked kinda goofy, but you have to use one to appreciate it.
Grohmann knives started as the Russell Best Knife. IIRC, they parted ways in the late 60's or early 70's.
Interesting backstory on Grohman's site: https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...grohmann-story

Excerpt:
Quote:
Mr Deane H Russell of Ottawa Ontario invited Canadian outdoor writers to cooperate in conducting national scale inquiries among professional woodsmen and experienced sportsmen in an effort to discover the features most desired in a modern outdoor knife. Through a newspaper article Mr Grohmann met with Mr Deane H Russell and together they set out to design a truly Canadian knife. After field testing through hunters and trappers across the north, the DH Russell Best Knife #1 was born, which along with various other designs won many awards and recognitions worldwide. Grohmann and Russell created three more models together, the #2, #3 and #4.

Grohmann Knives Ltd was formed in 1961 by the family

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell