View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Smile 270win vs 270wsm

This is all marketing bs by the manufacturers to buy the new wildcat anomalies that come about each year. Like selling new car models. They are trying for new success stories like the 25.06, the 270win, and the 7mm rem mag were a few years back. The short magnums are such an attempt. Pure marketing hype with little real advantage.

Parker Ackley describes magnum calibers as "overbore" meaning that they burn too much powder for the velocities they achieve. Eg 270 win and 7mm rem mag in 150 gr. The magnum burns roughly 10% more powder to get 100 f/s velocity more than the 270 win using 150 gr bullets. Is that efficiency?

The 270win achieves good velocities with the 150 gr bullet, so why go to the 270wsm and burn more powder and get more recoil for meager benefits? The 7mm mag really shines with 175 gr bullets so why not go to that if you want real results with a heavier bullet?

Elmer Keith states that if you choose to hunt large big game at close range, go to slower, heavier bullets. Moose hit properly with a 444marlin with 300 gr bullets go down as if poleaxed. Same with the 45-70. They are not too bad to shoot with 300gr bullets so why not explore that route.

My vote goes to the traditional calibers. The 270win has been around since 1925 and that speaks volumes. It is superb with 130 gr bullets. If I want more poop, I will hunt with a 7mm rem mag and 175 gr bullets. It is great on elk, reaches out there. It is a proven success story.

How about recoil? I am a reasonable shot with the 270win. It is because I feel comfortable to shoot it. It does not boot me. I have tried the 270wsm and it is much less comfortable and achieves very little more. The 7mm mag to me is about my limit to handle with some confidence, but I know I am using it to gain some advantage and that is the heavier bullet.