View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
When the general public finds out about CWD. Butchers shops won’t be allowed to process wild game where they handle inspected meat.
Unlikely,
The general public is already starting to become aware of CWD.

Secondly, The Meat Inspection Regulations already deal with processing wild game and inspected meat. The Regulations require facilities to have separation in production as well as storage and labeling of wild game and inspected meat products. Whether or not the public health food act does or not is a different matter, but it should.

Whether the butcher shops follow that rule or not is anyone's guess, but if something does happen, those shops will have to prove that they were indeed following those requirements or not.
The gov't will just hold their hands up and say "It was in the Regs, they were supposed to follow the rules, that's what they agreed to when they were given their license to operate.

Thirdly, with CWD becoming a bigger issue, the shops should preemptively start controlling what is coming into the shop on their own, The gov't should not need to tell them to do it as the writing is already on the wall, and the experts have already shown that it's becoming a bigger risk.

I don't hunt in CDW zones because that's not where my areas are. Would I eat an animal with a positive test result? I'm not sure, I've gone back and forth on this in my head. I guess it would all come down to what the carcass looked like when I cleaned it up. Skinny and weak, with little muscling or shaggy, probably not. If it had good muscling, proper looking internal anatomy, probably.

Last edited by El Carnicero; 02-06-2023 at 01:52 PM.