View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM

I got myself into a hellofa argument a while back but Im going to stick my neck out here anyways...

The deer who gets shot in the antler gets knocked out due to mild head trauma aka concusion... a temporary disruption of cellular function in the brain, just like a punch in the face. Look into the causes of head trauma and it will answer all those things.
As for the hydrostatic shock theory, it falls into the same princple as I understand it. The massive release of energy into the body of an animal causes enough trauma to the head to render them unconcious, or partially so, by rapid acceleration or deceleration of the brain tissue. While they are decapacitated, they bleed to death. The thought that tissues explode due to the shockwave I believe is a myth.
A full metal jacket bullet carries the same energy as a frangible one, and often as many experienced the same killing effect, although a diferent wound.The small area of teh wound therefore leaves less damage and less oportunity for bleed out.
The only way to kill anything by trauma, is to disrupt the central nervous system, ie. the brain, or spinal cord relaying information from the brain. You punch a hole in something with a bullet, or arrow, regardless of energy the overall surface area of the wound is the determining factor. You need to cause bleeding, leading to lack of oxygen, hypothermia, and acidosis... all of which are related and compounding.
Please leave the little fish alone, put them back in the aquarium where they belong. The energy a bullet carries, and its min and max to kill efficently are related to the energy needed to allow the bullet to expand, but not completley fall apart, again, makig a large wound channel. Hope that makes sense