View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I can only speak for the Beaumont Pond, but I think the stocking/fishing was awful this year. I presume that has to do with whirling disease, but maybe something else too?

This spring (2018) they stocked 500 trout into the Beaumont Pond.

In Spring 2017 they stocked 3,700 trout in the spring, plus another 1,000 in early October,

In Spring 2016, they stocked 3,500 trout into the pond in early May.

So stocking rates this Spring were at best about 14% of recent years. I think the fish this year were completely fished out within the first month by both humans plus the couple of cormorants that call the pond home. Certainly when I was there about a month ago there wasn't even anyone bothering to try and fish (including me, I was there taking photos), and I saw zero fish rise even though I was there in the sunset hour.

Best of luck finding a trout pond with fish this year. Beaumont Pond certainly won't be one of them. I had good luck at Cardiff Pond a few years ago in late July, but I haven't looked at the stocking numbers there this year, and I would suspect that it too is a victim of lack of restocking in 2018.
The people managing Alberta fisheries need to be slapped. So many lakes are in a sad sad state of affairs.. I wish they would Get a lot more aggressive with restocking programs. Maybe take a little bit of pressure off of the lakes just out of the city