View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 PM

For my hunting bows I change the string every 2 years or sooner.

While everyone looks at the condition of the string that they can outwardly see, I would like everyone to think about the parts of the string that they can't see, namely the strands under the serving. From failures that I have seen and many more that have been described to me, the majority of failures occur under the serving, more specifically I know a lot of them that have happened at the served loops, where the string and cables attach to the cams and limbs and work really hard.

Why is this important? It is so because we cannot wax under the servings, and if the bow is used outdoors in the rain, over time the wax that was put in when the string is manufactured will break down and be used up, like any other wax. Thus, over time the servings will wear on the string as it works below it. Furthermore, if the bow is used in incliment weather (as mine is all of August and September), the string will get wet under the servings, and if they are not brought in and thoroughly dried combined with no wax creates a situation where the wet (and dirty) string wears under the serving and we cannot see it.

Sooooo. That's my take on it. I have personally seen 2 string/cable failures of old string sets that have resulted in the total destruction of limbs and cams. Ironically, both were on bows that had been inspected and deemed "ok".

Is it not cheaper and easier to replace them every couple of years, rather than be out of a bow for the season, and run the risk of injury? Your call.

Jmo

Norm