Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
So you guys only use Bino's then? That will make it easier for me for sure. Less to haul around.

My plan is to hike in 3-5km and set up a base camp. Then just do day trips out of the base camp. If I end up getting a ram I was planning to pack it out to the truck right away and put the meat in a cooler. Then go back and either sleep, or pack up camp and hike it out. Does this seem plausible? Or do you guys hike all your stuff up the mountain?
As a fellow newbie to backpack hunting, I feel like there’s something I should tell you...remember the hot-crazy matrix? Well, sheep hunters have a successful-crazy matrix. Meaning, the crazier they are, the more rams they have on the wall. Nube is certified. I remember on another thread he said something about hunting 25-30 km in. That’s where the legal rams are. They are the hardest hunted animal in Alberta.

After years of saying I’m not into sheep, I...well, maybe it’s creeping in. Really spend some time on pics and judging. I’ve flirted with it and that’s what’s keeping me out of the game right now. Don’t trust my skills just yet.