View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM

Default ice fishing shack tips?

Ill try and answer your questions. I bought myself a trailer for this upcoming season which should make loading and unloading a breeze.
Two years ago, I moved the shack once and after that I was snowed in until seasons end. Which, I then had to bring out my snowblower and was on the verge of using my rototiller to bust up the drifts to help out it was that tough going.
I use a 20’000 btu vented propane heater. It’s dependable, a 30 lb bottle lasts me about 4 days and it uses no electricity if the generator happens to fail.
It weighs 4000 lbs so no I doubt a quad would pull it easily.
I built it 8x14 and I wish I had went 2 feet wider. As with all toys, it’s never big enough, so overbuild it right from the first step.
Yes I lock mine. It’s windows are bolted up with thick plate when I’m gone and the lock for the door is severely fortified without going into to much detail. Then there’s other measures that I have which keeps me “in touch” with it even when I’m not there. Also my home owners insurance covers it for up to 10% of the value of the house if something goes sideways. This is at no additional charge because it’s my “shed”.
When I leave, I use a jack-all to lift it up 4” or so onto some trim blocks. If someone drills close to you the flood water will cover the skids otherwise. Which also brings me to the purpose of using pipe for skids, so that a tiger torch or possibly even trucks exhaust can melt me enough away from the ice if it did flood. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk