View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
On the Wab and tag system, you would have to logically think that was an end state as to why the introduced walleye there. However, it is still in that zero retention period with public health concern on water quality. I haven't heard of any change to that unless someone on here has more up to date info?
My recommendation is you research this a bit more...

There are numerous publicly available reports on the water quality at Wabamun and the ones the year after the spill pretty much showed that the spill was not a factor anymore. There are still slightly higher amounts of PAH in the sediment compared to other lakes but that is because of the coal in the area and the coal burning in the nearby plant and it was that way before the spill as well.

I believe the lake remained zero retention for the first few years just in case but then it was later left zero retention because it was considered a trophy fishery and due to its close proximity to the city.

From one of the sources you can find, from 2008

Quote:
At present the fishery is “catch and release” in an effort to increase fish populations which have fallen due to over fishing.
When speaking with the bio he told me the lake would never be opened because it wouldn't be able to sustain the pressure and remain a trophy fishery. Since it isn't really a trophy fishery anymore maybe that attitude will change and tags will be implemented. That won't happen until they are sure there is proper recruitment first which they already had signs of 2 years ago but I am sure they want even more data before they consider it.