View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 PM

Default Antelope down boys!

What an adventure!

Two days scouting and not much really for big lopes.
Saturday we saw more... some shooters... and one that got the name Big Boy.. cause he was the biggest around (not a cranker though). We met a lot of super nice folks as we got permissions all over the place.

This is super wide open country.
It was great to take it all in.

There’s lots to see and explore here.

Ya gotta meet Boyd. Great guy!

I really made an effort to take it all in. The experience was amazing!

Opening day saw a real busy situation unfold as there were hunters absolutely everywhere..... which isn’t very cool. Particularly the asshats who drove places they should not have.
Anyways..... I stalked one herd at 8 AM..... and passed on the guy after I counted coup on him and his harem at 175 yards or so.

Then I tried to jog to do an intercept on a nice buck ... I figured they were headed to a feeding group straight on and if I jogged the 509 yards I could set up on them. Turns out the group headed straight for me for some bizarre reason... I got busted at 75 yards just over a rise. The 6 does shot passed me... followed by the buck running full out. I tried a couple shots as he was broadside to me.... but speed goats is speedy.

Couple other epic failed stalks and then we found ‘big boy’. Prolly 1.5 k out... but the stalk was very doable.

So I tried....got super close... and dink buck busted me. So I tried to wait them out as dink and the herd just milled about. Next thing I know.. they just walked off. I get to where I can see em and they’re 400 yards off. Antelope move fast even when their not running.

So... I tried a cut off on another group close by.... and

One shot... bang flop!

Fantastic day in an incredible part of the province!

Huge thanks goes out to an AO person here.... won’t give his handle. But you sir are what we should all aspire to be as sportsmen.

Thanks to the phenomenal landowners who are true stewards of the land and it’s critters. 1/2 the good memories of this hunt are about you folks and the conversations we had.

I could never thank my hunting buddy enough. He’s been hunting speed goats for 40+ years and his wisdom of the goats of speed are deep/vast! I am so privaleged to be your friend.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."