View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Default <3%long shots

Almost 40 years hunting behind me now,I've shot at exactly TWO animals past 300 yards,both WT,smoked em both in the heart/lungs,one was a paced off 315y,the other GPS'd at 340m +/- 7m accuracy?(380yards??)
Probly 1/2 a dozen more between 200-300,a dozen or so from 100-200,and several dozen with bows,rifles,shotgun and MLs from literally point blank under a tree stand to 100.
I've never even been tempted to shoot at anything farther,nor have I verified trajectories nor worked on the skills required to shoot farther.I've never owned nor even used a range finder,but I'm pretty confident in my ability to guesstimate 300 yards give er take and that's all I've ever needed,hold on hair not air for anything out to 300,other then that one longest WT I gave him about 6" hold over spine.

All that said n done,I've got no issue with those that have the skillsets required to CONSISTENTLY make FIRST ROUND SUB MOA HITS taking 7,8,900+ yard shots,"walking it in" with elevation and windage corrections is not acceptable nor ethical IMO.
My only concern is that there are a lot of wannabe snipers out there that only think they are good.On the other hand,lotsa guys out there have no bizness shooting beyond 30y with a bow and think they can shoot 60,and many more again that dust off their rifle on opening day shooting from the same 6 year old 20 round box of ammo that probly haven't checked a zero in years and do well to hit a moose at 100y broadside,soooooo.....who's to judge?