Thread: Bull Trout Help
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM

This is such a subjective topic really. Still water tactics can be different than rivers/streams. Lakes are simple imo, don't even bother with big streamers or even stripping a bunch....I catch most of my by big ones on pine squirrel leeches, under a float, not much bigger than a quarter. But I digress, any type of black leech pattern under a float will work on both cutties and bulls. 1 inch marabou leeches will work fine as well. Don't be scared to use them throughout the season....same as egg patterns(early or late in the season). Bigger isn't always the answer imo.

On streams/rivers I find the sex dungeon and the double bunny flies to work like a charm. My preferred colours are white and black. Personally I only use floating line with a ton of heavy leader/tippet as the pools aren't super deep and I tie the weight about 6 inches underneath and try to strip it off the bottom toward the top. I don't just strip upstream/downstream, I try to pull up on it a lot too which imitates a struggling/dying fish. I've even had them hit on streamers I just sat still on the bottom (using tons of weight). Quite honestly there isn't really one method that works for me every single time. I will say the more p issed off they get the easier it is to get a bite it seems. If there's a few sitting in a pool not budging then try catching a few small cutties first. That commotion will often times stir them up and p iss them off. Once they're on the prowl switch back to the streamer.

Big fish are less likely to chase a small food item in a strong current so keep that in mind, in a lake they're often times cruising so will take anything on just about any method. I find the bigger streamers more productive in rivers but not soo much in lakes.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you find it useful.

Last edited by Calgaryguy1977; 06-13-2018 at 10:51 AM.