View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
Miller seems blind to longstanding presence of cultural and political influences in the classroom. His ignorance is surprising for someone in his position.

What *IS* Miller's concern? Is he concerned with non-fundamentals being included in the curriculum? Or is he just concerned with the presence of ideas he doesn't agree with?

The "Three Rs" methodology is 200 years old - Miller's recommendations are the best 1800 has to offer.

Miller's criticisms come off as an aging person's discomfort with change, more than they do informed criticism of the educational system.

Increasingly, it's clear that a portion of our society is non-binary. Some may dismiss this as a social experiment or fad, but more likely it's biological variations that have been suppressed by culture.

I'd rather have these folks acknowledged and included, than suffering in silence, and eventually killing themselves.

(ps. Any link to this article? )
People fear things they don't understand or cannot relate to. Often this leads to stern opposition. In the case of this topic, Gender, I don't quite understand it fully, nor can I relate, but people (and kids) have the right to be happy and the right not be persecuted. If schools teach understanding and tolerance - I'm OK with that.

Kids (and people) deserve to be who/what they want to be. It's not like tolerance and education will all of a sudden turn someone into something they are not. That's irrational fear. That's what drives this stern opposition to schools teaching their students about this issue.

At the end of the day there is nothing to fear from people who are different than you or me. Your kid won't catch "gay" from the gay kid next to him, won't become "binary" just because the kid next to him in Math class identifies that way, nor will be become Polish because he hangs out with Polish kids.