Thread: .22 cal cooey?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM

I ran into a similar problem with my cooey 600 this weekend.

For the first time ever in thousands of rounds, I got an ignition failure. After ejecting the round, I noticed that the firing pin had barely indented the rim.
I put this exact same round through a target grade .22 and the round fired.
I had also noticed that when cycling the bolt, rounds would not feed high enough to exactly line up with the bore; I'd been lifting the rounds up with my finger tips in order to chamber them. Thought maybe the rifle was worn out.

So tonight I checked out the action and might have found a headspace issue.

First problem was that the small screw that connects the barreled action to the stock was loose by almost half a turn. Next, I noticed the back end of the feed mechanism was not fully engaged into the square slot in the breech bolt bottom. Also noticed that the keeper bolt that keeps the tubular mag close to the barrel, and therefore the sliding/tilting feed mechanism closely engaged to the breech bolt, was loose rather than snug.

Suggest you separate the action from the stock, then check to see how much slack there is in the keeper bolt that threads into the U-shaped keeper welded to the underside of the barrel. This is the exact same bolt that must be loosened in order to separate the sliding/tilting feed machanism from the breech bolt. Snug this keeper bolt up and the feed mechanism should now position each round high enough against the bolt head to allow for straight ahead insertion of the round, and fuller firing pin contact.

I've not shot my 600 since these adjustments, and so may be barking up the wrong tree. Matathonman, please let us know how it goes. ymmv.

p.s. Oh yeah, to answer your question, I've no idea how to take the firing pin out of the bolt! If you can feel the pin protrude when the bolt is in the fired position (both halves in full contact), then your pin is probably fine.

Last edited by twofifty; 01-22-2008 at 12:13 AM.