View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

I will only say this. One could argue till they are blue in the face about first nation hunting rights. But you will never change these treaties. Instead I believe we need to encourage native hunters to hunt in a a way that does not abuse the system. I would be the first to call out a non native for abusing the system, ie; putting in draws for non hunting family members, night hunting, baiting, etc. I will also call out a native hunter for abusing their treaty rights and shooting animals only for trophy value beyond reason. We hunt for trophies so they can too, but they should limit that to a single animal. If they want to shoot multiple elk or moose or deer they should stay within reason. Filling half tons with stacks of antlers is not right for any hunter, native or not. If the abuse continues I only see the divide between native and non native hunters growing wider. The answer to this issue lies with all true hunters native and non, providing an example and calling to account those in our hunting spheres that choose to abuse our hunting culture. The greatest reward for a hunter is knowing you have hunted hard and fairly and come away successful.