View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
it's my personal guess

to go into more detail. the herd has been there for a long time but now there is big media attention, farmers crying out for help, base hunts, you name it.

so my prediction a hard winter combined with a disease (maybe one or the other) cuts the herd in half then "supplemental antlerless elk tags anyone? shoot 3 a year each!!" and we have a small herd, no media attention, no farmers employing hunters, and no work for the government.
As Walking Buffalo indicated there may have been 10% of the bull population removed by FN and if 3% of these were trophy I would be surprised. Disease is certainly a possibility as we live in a CWD zone here. Not to mention the only reported case of CWD in a moose was just east of CFB on a road kill on the 41.

Regarding the media attention and more pressure, well this has done the opposite where tracks of land are being closed due to the pressure and idiots flocking to this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Fires are a regular occurrence. We have been lucky is SE Ab. and have had good moisture. A really dry year and one bad wind storm could be disastrous.

Having said that, the base is on top of all that stuff, but still accidents happen and things can get out of hand quickly.
You may want to rethink the conditions here, it is dry as heck man... Cypress county issued a fire ban in March as we only got half the moisture needed from the limited snow this winter. I and many are wishing for a wet spring to help as there is no moisture in the ground.