Thread: 7mm Rem Mag
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psale63 View Post
I'm looking at buying a 7mm Rem Mag as my go to rifle for deer, moose and elk etc. I was comparing the Nosler load data of the Rem Mag and 30-06 (my current go to rifle) and was surprised to see the bullet velocities were very similar for 150gr to 165gr bullets between the two which now has me reconsidering the Rem Mag.

Are these two cartridges that comparable or have the lawyers gotten their fingers in this and muddied the waters? I do intend to maximize the cartridges capabilities through hand loading.

What's the deal with the Rem Mag?
Both cartridges are great options for deer, moose, and elk. Arguably the 7mm is flatter for the rare occasion you'll be faced with that long a shot.

If you're maximizing cartridge capability through hand loading, you're probably talking more about target shooting and, lets face it, hobby handloading because its cool and fun, not hunting (not trying to be glib, just saying).

I like and use a 7mm. Its a great rifle. Sometimes the 26" barrel feels cumbersome. I don't think 30-06 have longer barrels like this.

They don't get big by being dumb.