Thread: 7mm Rem Mag
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
OK kids, here is our lesson for today. Take out your notebooks and write these words...

Cat and Dick = full of sht

Elk11 = sometimes full of sht

Cat, Dick, and Elk = AO demi-gods for the masses of fools who'd actually give creedence to lived out experience

Youtube = gospel
I like to get information from all sources before I decide and often there are folks that just can't except the alternate view point. I would prefer we are civil and at a certain point agree to disagree.

I will ask you this. Are we supposed to accept the opinion of anonymous people posting under an avatar as the gospel unadulterated truth? No doubt they have experience and can contribute go the conversation but there are other sources. Some folks very quickly and derisively discounted an alternate view and it provoked a personal attack (maybe try counting to 10?)

I dont understand why You Tube is dismissed out of hand as a bad source of info. I also don't accept that the experts only reside on AO. Experience is invaluable but when we dismiss contrary data using our own prejudice we can miss something.

For what it's worth I've watched about 6 of the 'Real Gunsmith' episodes. He is definitely old school ( but in a charmingly annoying way lol). A little more digging and he appears to have been a gunsmith for 52 years. Working for both Speer, Burris and as a private custom builder. His bio notes that he built pressure rifles for Speer....so there's that.

If the whole video is watched to where the 3200 fps 7 mag reference was made. The bullets are seated way out and he emphatically stated "in my rifle". Meaning, I assume, a custom Randy Selby rifle.

I don't doubt he gets that velocity and will accept it at face value to be acceptable/safe in the rifle he referred to (unless he was fired by Speer then all bets are off lol) I dont think the implication was any nimrod with a stock model 700 should be chasing that.

Interesting bunny trail this thread took. The sarcasm laced tirade was a little over the top, but maybe it was provoked to a certain degree?

For what it's worth I recently sold all my rifles and replaced it with one. 7 MM rem mag. ~2900 fps with a 160 gr Nosler partition. What more do I need? Brass and bullets are relatively more available than the other 7's.

I've also owned more 30-06's than Carter has liver pills. I see no clear benefit to switching unless you just want something new. The old Springfield can send a 165 g pill down range at nearly the same velocity (or same if you want to argue....which we did).