Thread: 7mm Rem Mag
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4271527]Seating the bullets way out may mislead some people, in that they believe that this adds a lot of capacity to the cartridge case. The reality is, the effective chamber volume is the volume with the bullet against the lands, as that is where the pressure really starts to climb. That is why extra freebore allows you to gain some velocity with the same peak pressure. It doesn't take much to drive a bullet out of the case, so this happens very quickly, before the pressure climbs anywhere near peak. When the bullet reaches the lands, and the lands must engrave the bullet, the pressure climbs rapidly. And seating right on the lands, actually increases the pressure, because the bullet has less momentum when it strikes the lands, so it takes more effort for the lands to engrave the

Sort of knew that. However, the guy making the claim likely knows that as well. I'm not a gunsmith or a ballastician but the guy making the claim has the credentials. I don't think a 12 minute clip on you tube video that also touches on 5 or 6 other cartridges provides the detail. Likely more to the story.