View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

i think sheepguide said it best..."everyone wants more and bigger rams, but without having to give up anything". so ill repeat what i stated...take some zones ( and because the south holds genetically bigger sheep i vote for them ) and make them draw areas. there seems to be a lot of concern over applying forever. you guys realize you can have a random lottery where priority does not exist, ie mountain goat. those areas would see limited trophy ram hunters allowing for more and bigger rams. perhaps with the increase in ram numbers a few extra ewe tags could go out allowing a little more opportunity for those who have to go whether they kill or not. and by the way, TJ is absolutely right. you dont have to kill anything to have a great hunt, but if killing is not the goal, it IS NOT hunting. those ewe hunters would get to hunt and scout for that ram tag that would hopefully come. I believe that those zones would have to go to once in a lifetime though. i still would like to see a good chunk of sheep country open for those who want just any legal ram, and so opportunity is still there for those willing. if you want to see an active model of this, do a little research on the sheep hunting in montana. they kill on average much older rams than we do here in alberta, and of course that means better trophy quality as a whole.