View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM

I agree not many boat fishermen: and that as little as 5 years ago there were not as many shore fishermen. Now, in the summer, I have personally counted as many as 35 fishermen around the point and bays at the boat club on the south side at oakridge. I have also seen a dozen fishermen down near weaselhead, which is not a large area to fish, so it is almost shoulder to shoulder. Pike aren't tough to catch, and I always see someone reeling one in, if there are upwards of 20 people in a stretch of shoreline on a given evening. I also note that I have never seen a big pike caught by these fishermen. The pike near shore simply dont have a chance to grow big anymore. The pressure tapers off a lot in the fall, which is good, because that is when the big browns are active. But those huge trout are (and always have been) VERY difficult to catch, so they can handle some pressure. i just think more needs to be done, as this fishery has the potential to produce some of the largest Brown trout in Alberta, as well as much bigger pike than it currently yields.