View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I am excited about going down to the one gun hunter. I found over the years of adding new rifles and calibers that my proficiency has gone down hill. Instead of being at one with my rifle, I am not great with any. In the old days I only had one and I never had issues as far as cheek weld, shouldering etc... it was all natural each time I shouldered the rifle.
X2 on this, at one point I had a bit of a collection going on. Then I realized the best rifle to hunt anything with, in any terrain, is the one you shoot the most.

That said I do keep two big game rifles around these days, one scoped and one with irons. On days where the precipitation is heavy, or the tree's are dropping buckets of snow on me I find it much more simple to just use the rifle with irons rather than digging snow out of my scope all day.

One last thing to mention, going to a .308 in a Tikka will get you a lighter rifle, if that's what you want. But I very much doubt that the Tikka will have less recoil than you're Ruger, despite the caliber drop. I had Remington 760's in .30-06 and a .308 at one point and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil, my wife's Savage Lady Hunter in .270 (light like a Tikka) kicks significantly harder than either of them, while my Ruger in .270 is a pleasure to shoot. Felt recoil depends on a lot more than just the cartridge.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.