View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM

The first year I decided that I was going to hold out for a true monster I let him walk. It was early in the season and I wasn't positive how big he really was until it was too late.

A friend and I had spotted him from about a mile. There wasn't a whole bunch of legal light left but we managed to stalk within 300 yards and I had a solid rest. I just couldn't decide so we stalked closer.

We managed to close the gap to 150 yards and I took a rest on a fence post. He knew we were there at that point but just stood there with his does on the edge of a willow bush. The brush in the back ground was making it difficult to see his antlers accurately. I looked and looked and knew he was really good but I wasn't sure how good. I think the lack of excitement from my buddy was throwing me off, he had been guiding for whitetail for years. As the minutes ticked by I made the decision to pass.

We stood up and those deer busted out of that bush and I watched my 190 run across the field. That was the best opportunity I've ever had at an amazing deer. The ride home was pretty quiet that night. Turns out buddy didn't want to get me too wound up.

I passed a 170 4x4 three times one season and had the opportunity to check him out after a friend shot it. I was kicking my butt for that one as well but nowhere near as much as the other one.

Edit- I'm talking estimated gross score. Whitetail.

Last edited by Tfng; 10-25-2017 at 02:53 PM.