View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Well it was a bit of a struggle to tie into them. We started off our trip to the Abraham area trying to wade a section of the NSR below the dam.

No luck though we did see other people fishing. We moved closer to the damn and caught a couple small lakers as well as a small rainbow trout. We then moved up the dam and tried to shore fish the reservoir in a few different places with no luck.

Eventually I suggested we move to the Cline river where it dumped into lake Abraham. I had heard of some big Bulls and the occasional Cutthroat being caught there so figured why not. It was also getting pretty windy on the main lake and I figured the tree-lined river would offer more protection.

We get there and almost immediately I caught a nice chubby 17" lake trout. Probably my 2nd or 3rd cast. We were right near the mouth so the lakers do come and go through the lower section of the river I guess.

We kept fishing and within an hour or so I had 3 lakers on shore and one had broken me off in close (using 6 pound test) and Jeff had caught a few by this time as well. All around the same 17-20" range.

Just as the sun was setting and it started to get dark, I tied on a chartreus Blue Fox spinner, and tossed it into a juicy looking pool right behind a big rock ledge. Two cranks of the reel and I had a solid thump. Fish on. He fought well, I was standing on a ledge over hanging the bank and the Bully had my rod bent right over as he dived into the cut-bank underneath me and back around the side of the rock I was on. Jeff managed to scramble down to the shore and grab him.

He was solid muscle, big head with a slim body. The feel of their skin is so weird. He was about 20" or so, and had a huge scar on the top of his back where it looked like maybe a hawk or some bird of prey had grabbed him before dropping him. We put him back and I ended up getting another one about the same size the next day using a brown trout colored rapala in the same spot! It also had some big scars on its back.
It could have been the same one, last year I caught the same Bullie same day maybe an hour and a half apart.