View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Wali has many meanings in Arabic. To be clear when interpreting that statement using the simple western term friend is likely inappropriate because the intent likely refers to a deeper spiritual meaning and being a spiritual text you want followers to be deeply connected to similar minded folks.

Again...we keep going around in circles about a religion that does similar things as others but vilify one while ignoring the similarity of others.

Fact is...fanatics don't rule any religion. Fact is the Muslim community does need to shout that from the rooftops.
You're defending against yourself, because nobody has condoned what was done, you interpreted what they used as a description of their intupretaion of the situation, as them condoning his actions simply because he is not Muslim.

Fwiw, I have a lot of Muslim friends and I don't see any more or less hate in them than any of my non Muslim friends, but all of them are westernized Muslims, they understand western culture and accept it. I believe where the conflict arises is where the western culture is not understood or accepted, it's easy to radicalize by using their own interpretation of the Koran. The resentment of Muslims is the same thing, with people not understanding Middle East culture and assuming all Muslims are radicals.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for the Muslims to shout it from the mountaintops that radical Muslims should not be tolerated and action towards the radicals should be taken by the entire Muslim community, but that's not something you see. It seems to be a "well it doesn't affect me so I don't care" type mentality, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's starting to affect them.