Thread: Hard mouth dog
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyh View Post
Force fetching was someting that I avoided right from the start b/c it just looked like something that was beyond me- as being the trainer. It doesn't look like a time that is either fun or enjoyable for me or Stewie(my dog)
Am I wrong in assuming that?

I force fetch all my retreivers.
The difference between one that has been trained with the force fetch and one that has not is very clear.
With a trainer that understands the concept and technique of force fetching it certainly does not have to be any more traumatic or dramatic than any other part of a training program.

Find a dog trainer to show/help you with this part of a program, or hire one to force break your dog.

And yes a dog will retrieve without being force broke. He will also retrieve without being house broke, or obedience trained or travel savvy. Each person decides what is an acceptable level of training for their own dog.

After many years training retreivers, I have to say that those that are opposed or horrified by the "force breaking" either have no first hand experience or simply do not understand the traing.

"May the force be with you"....Obi Wan Coyote

Ps. What is your dog allowed to retrieve? Hunting dog gets bumpers birds or tennis balls only.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand