View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Campbell River can have great fishing for feeder Springs in the 8-20lb range from mid-May onwards. You won’t see many good ones over 30lbs until mid-July but there is always a chance. Guided fishing can be pretty inexpensive too if going with Painters Lodge. Or at least as inexpensive as guided fishing gets...it will still cost a bit of money.

If you’re driving great, if not rent a vehicle. Lots of places to stay depending on budget. Tons of Golfing on some pretty nice courses if that’s your thing. Drive up Mount Washington and ride the chair lift up and hike down. Walk the Canyon view trail right in Campbell River. Hike Ripple Rock trail for some spectacular views of the Seymour Narrows just 20 minutes North of CR. There would be tons to do beyond just going out fishing...

If you want to combine some pretty good salmon fishing (with bigger Springs) with some awesome bottom fishing I’d head up to Port Hardy for a few days. Lots of different guided options and Duval Point Lodge has some great deals on accommodations with self-guided fishing out of their boats. Just bring some food and you’re set. A Friday-Monday self-guided trip in their boats with all their gear and as many hours on the water as you could handle is like $1,200 per person.

Lots of options on the Island although like mentioned your options would be better in mid July to September if looking for big Springs and some great Coho fishing. I grew up in Campbell River and while we’ve lived in Fort McMurray for over 6 years both my parents and in-laws still live in CR so we get back there quite a bit. My dad still has his 17’ Whaler and I kept all my gear when we left, so I still get out on the water whenever I feel a fix is needed.