View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would never start a season regardless of whether it was my first or last with 4 arrows but that’s me.

I would personally go to a pro shop and get a fresh dozen, have them setup the bow and paper tune to match, then you need to sight in to effective distance.

LC
LC is correct. And I’d be getting this done yesterday as bow season is only 1-2 weeks out.

In my first 2 years hunting archery I probably went through 3-4 arrows each season before finally connecting on an animal in my second year. I was shooting an older bow that wasn’t very fast. Shots last 30m are common as you’re still learning how to get closer. Adrenaline, and targets that react/move all start to play factors that you can’t really practice for. That said, I’m sure some guys go out and shoot one deer with one arrow- good on them, and that’s what we can all hope for. But expect and prepare for worst case scenario.

REALISTICALLY if you go out with less than 6 arrows tuned and set up, you will probably find yourself disappointed and in a bind. If you go out with 4 arrows and miss twice, maybe lose the arrow or break them on a tree- then you have 2 arrows to start your next day with. That doesn’t bring much confidence. 6-12 arrows I’d say is a happy place to be.

Shoot your arrows and number them with felt pen on the fletching, number them in order of most consistent and accurate. Your #4-6 arrows don’t need to be shooting as dead straight as your #1-3 arrows, they are there for back up in all reality. They don’t need to shoot same hole, having this expectation may bring frustration. As said above, 3” groups at 30m will most likely Suffice.

Hope this helps. I just went through it a couple years ago. As you hunt archery more, you will acquire more gear and more tackle. It doesn’t need to be an expensive and stressful thing to get into. Practice and shoot lots. You can never have enough practice as hunting living game and shooting targets all year long are very different.

Good luck!