View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 AM

I've already posted this in the general hunting section....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well guys....
It finally happened. I cashed in every last one of my lucky chips and was able to break my Archery Elk curse!!

A friend and I headed out at first light, and after a short hike came to a small meadow. On the far side of the meadow were feeding a bull with 8 cows and calves.

We backed out of the meadow and hid ourselves among the aspens on the edge and waited.

Slowly the cows fed towards us and passed about 45 yards to our right. I was busy getting an accurate range on the cows as I was pretty sure the bull would follow, when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the bull RIGHT THERE!!!

While the cows had fed to our right, the bull had made his way through the centre of the meadow and was now standing 25 yards right in front of us.... He looked HUGE!!!!!

As the bull slowly angled over to the cows my friend drew his bow, and I waited and watched for the shot....... and I waited...... and waited..... after what seemed like hours the bull spooked a little and took several big strides back into the meadow. As I drew my bow, I cow called at him which immediately caught his attention and he stopped slightly quartering away and looked back.

I sent my arrow on its 32 yard trip, and watched it bury tight behind the shoulder.
The bull ran about 150 yards and stopped. After about 10 seconds he tipped over and was down for the count!!!

"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-