View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 PM

Like many have said - visit a smaller pro shop like JimBows -- comparable prices to bigbox stores with the advantage of someone who knows what they are talking about compared to some $15/hr highschool student who doesn't know the business end of a bow from their own back end.

For your budget I would think you would be able to get a complete set up with either a Diamond SB1 or a BowTech Fuel. Add some arrows and a release and you are in business - should be able to get this for under $700.

Both these bows are well suited for a beginning archer as they are highly adjustable for both draw length (if you son is still growing) as well as draw weight.

My son (10) just went into the Fuel from an Atomic. Almost got him the SB1 however the Fuel was only marginally more money and had a better rest and sight. He also "felt" it fit him better which is an important consideration.

Get some lower end GoldTip Falcon or Hunter arrows in a spline to match his draw length and weight...super affordable and very usable for hunting.

Yes you can buy more accessories as he grows into bow hunting but to be honest you do not need them -- I shoot a 20 year old Hoyt with whisker biscuit rest, aluminium arrows and it still kills moose as dead a new 2300 carbon fiber Hoyt.