Thread: Cnn trophy
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sad that the only thing keeping many of these animals alive is the coin brought in by foreign hunters. You'd think they'd have more than just money as a reason but since they can't get a grip on poaching it's the only alternative.
Fair enough.

The version of Africa you wish for disappeared one hell of a long time ago unfortunately.
Now, almost the entire continent is overpopulated. Poverty RULES. Most cannot afford to eck out even a substandard living. Wildlife exists now simply because it brings in extremely required coin, and jobs. Without that incentive, it is simply food to be taken at will, or competition when attempting to grow & harvest crops. Anti-poaching activities commonly lose ground (rapidly so) when those incentives are removed.
Unfortunate situation, but nothing you nor I can do will influence what is at all.

Quote:
Only a privileged few would be hunting them is the short answer. Are you ok with that?
More hunt than you might imagine.
While the "trophy" hunts are generally sold off to the elites that can afford it, meat and cull hunts also occur frequently. Those are typically engaged in by locals (who I hunted with extensively while there).
It is an entirely different game over there, and cannot be compared directly with what occurs in NA. Given that these hunts are pretty much the sole reason the wildlife still exist. yes, I am OK with that.

Quote:
...although I GET it, I'm not so sure I agree with many of the animals being raised in captivity, yes I know they're still pretty much wild, then let go a week or two ahead of the hunts. That's sad too, because if they cared enough to manage their wildlife properly there would be enough to support hunting the fully wild versions.
What you describe is the exception to the rule in most cases.
Yes, that does occur, but it is limited in scope.
Most are born behind a fence that encompasses a HUGE range, and never see a "cage" as you suggest. Most operate under the free range aspect the majority of their lives.

Given the state of almost all African Countries today, it is entirely unlikely there will ever be a program of wildlife management in any of them that comes close to the NA model, or for which you wish for. So many other matters take precedence, that wildlife is not even on the back burner. The only reason there is any interest at all is based almost entirely on the coin hunting operations bring in.

So, I do see your point regarding what makes it "sad".
But I also recognize that without the types of programs now being employed there, we could kiss a great many wildlife species away.

Unfortunate perhaps, but a very large component of Just The Way It Is...

Cheers,
Nog