View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I'm sure your aware you'll still have to manage backlash for accurate cuts. Although the readout will measure tool position regardless of slack, when the tool comes under load the tool will move to remove slack unless you took it out before.
You'll no doubt enjoy the readout so that's great.
You are correct Rancid. Gear backlash is a necessary evil that has to be accounted for or/and negated when initiating a cut. Formerly, I would typically use dial indicators strategically located on the tool post. The DRO allows me to see it without having to mount mag bases and dials, it make it much easier. Thus far, I've only mounted the Y axis DRO (on the cross slide). It's only about 6" long, and it's wasn't too much of a task to get it running accurately. I've had to mill my own brackets as I wasn't satisfied with the brackets that came with the kit. Good learning experience starting out with the short one as my X axis (apron) is 36" long to suit most of the length of my 40" bed. However, I started by locating a point close to my head stock. Mounted a fine line magic marker using a magnetic base to allow the apron to travel along bed length and scribe a line in my lathe bed casting towards my far mounting point. I also checked it with a laser beam locator to ensure straightness. I don't want unevenness to cause stress between the reading head and the magnetic scale. Trust me, I've got this covered and am taking my sweet time to "make it right". But I do appreciate your input and cautionary measures.