Thread: Fly Tyer Needed
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowBoy75 View Post
Ive been buying these flies from local shop for $3-$4 and I was fine paying that for them but I need specific size and weights and the stores did not have the selection for what Im looking for.
After doing some research I saw that there wasnt much to tying these flies so I thought I'd buy the supplies and do it myself but ran into supply issues, one shop would have this but was missing that. I would have had to order from 4 different shop to get what I needed and pay separate shipping for all these separate stores. I figured it might be worth it to see if there were tyers out there that could do what I needed and pay them instead.
I didn't mean to offend any tyers out there but some of you have seem to take this the wrong way. I realize you put a lot of time and effort into your craft. I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is I'm not willing to pay orvis prices for these style of flies. If that puts me out of your price range then I accept it, I'll look elsewhere.
I thought this was community that helped other people out? Seems some of you are only willing to do skmething if you can make a big profit off of it.
Don't worry I'll keep looking and when I track down a good supply I'll make it available for others who need it.

Here's a video of the tying. Some parts were sped but most was in real time.
Is it that complicated or time consuming?

https://youtu.be/O2-vKgT5dS4

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
No sir, respectfully you are missing the point that I was making. I’m not here expecting $10 a fly (I usually tie tons of flies for my friends free of charge)
What I’m saying is that $$= quality. You won’t find someone tying $3 flies using good quality hooks (imo very important). Most flies a person buys are made in Kenya, and a lot of those ppl out there are way better tiers than people on here. Like with all things, people (not specifically you per se) are expecting better for cheaper, and that’s simply not feasible.
BowBoy, I ran the numbers... to tie what you want featured in the video it would cost $10 for hooks, $15 for beads, for that very nice tail material you would have to purchase a saddle (minimum $40) and Mylar $4, thread $4, and varnish (cheapest being sally Hanson) $5. Granted there will be left over material (which lots of ppl wouldn’t use, you’re looking at $77 for materials. Which leaves us with $3.08 per fly before any time is put in. So if you do it yourself, it’s feasible to do it for your price range... assuming you have everything else like tying tools.
There are kind ppl on here, but I would say that people are weary of tying for free to a random person. If you were my friend, hell yeah I would. But this is the internet. Good luck on your journey.
Cheers