View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
lessons.. pfft.

It will be frustrating at first, there is no doubt about it... but don't spend money you don't have to take casting-lessons IMO.
I've been flyfishing for over 10 years now... I had no one to teach me and no one to go with. Over time I have perfected my fly skills and have no problem catching fish now. PATIENCE IS KEY!
I didn't catch my first fish on the fly until about 2 years after I started. It takes time to learn the proper technique and how to read the water, but once you do you will start hooking fish. There is a huge learning curve off the start. Practice makes better, simple as that... Practice distance, placement, presentation, etc and you will pick it up in no time.

I think what would really be useful though is learning about fly hatches & what to use, where & when... Which may be offered in a Fly-fishing course.. haha

Me and guitar got a lot in common lol, I only ever caught pike on the fly. until this spring had i started to catch trout, 3 years fly fishing. Presentation is huge!!!
I still have no clue about hatches and can tell it'll be another 3 or 4 years learning that. But I'm figuring them out. Actually faster then I thought. Cause I'm catching lots lately on top... Fly fishing is addictive, just wait till you pull into one...

As far as advise goes, there isn't really a thing I can say that hasn't been mentioned. Except what goes on in your mind. It'll be frustrating learning how to cast with different winds, different currents learning to throw casts with mends in them and continuing to throw mends. Assuring your flys presentation is perfect. But i think a lot of your success will come from errors that everyone's already made. That can't be taught, but not learned. It's a mental game, don't be flinging your rod back and forth when you get a tangle... And when you get discouraged, look at all the people around you fishing with bait not catching anything.... Your gonna get one, you always do!

One last mention that's worked really well for me, if you make a bad cast always say to yourself, "I've caught fish on alot worst cast then that one!". I can't stress how much of a mental game it is. And you'll probably notice with your buddy how much confidence he'll probably have.... Get confident! Have a couple cold ones you'll be good to go, relax and really appreciate where you are... I hope this little pep talk will help encourage you to really enjoy the sport and art of fishing just that much more! Cheers

Sammy Boy