View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
All these old dudes will tell you it's really hard and super complicated buts it's actually really easy , Google orvis learning centre and download and listen to the orvis podcast Tom rosenbauer explains things in way that makes sense and shares his almost 40 yrs of fly fishing experience. I watched a video of him teach two little girls how to fly fish and the hooked bass nearly first cast its really not that hard hahaha
Holy thread necromancy. I love that people are taking advantage of the huge repository of information.

Since I first posted, I have taught over 15 people how to fly fish. Only one person has picked it up flawlessly. it was a smart young girl who had no fishing experience---a blank slate with a natural sense of rhythm. The hardest person to teach was probably the most competent gear angler I have ever known. The 30+ years of muscle-memory and habits (that made him an effective gear angler) were really hard to break. Without someone to actively make corrections to the 10-2 stops and to help keep the rod-tip moving in a straight line instead of the momentum arc that someone would use chucking a spoon or crank-bait, it would have taken him months of frustration to 'get it'.

Fly casting is not hard, but unless a person has a natural understanding of physics (momentum, springs, tension), I would not call it super easy. I agree, instruction is not needed. But I would hazard everyone would benefit from at least a little instruction.