View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I had ancestors on my mother’s side from (Islay) that worked for both the Hudson’s Bay and the Northwest Company .
One , Robert McVicar was a chief trader for the HBC and was involved in several fights with the Nor’ West company men .
He was a favorite of Franklin’s and Franklin named a bay on Great Bear Lake after him.
He was also married in Ft.Chip by Sir John Franklin to Christina McBeath in Ft. Chipewyan in 1827!
After he retired he settled in the Lakehead district of what is now Thunder Bay of Ontario and is considered the Founding Father of Port Arthur .
Coincidently ,Colleagues of my wife also retired there a few years back and bought a B&B residence - it is in fact the McVicar Manor which my ancestor built!
Cat
Interesting part of your roots for sure. That is neat that McVicor's Manor is still in the circle. McVicor was in the west at an amazing era.

You don't have any resemblance to him except maybe you both prefer blackpowder and ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McVcor.jpg (16.2 KB, 83 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets