View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
My line is never “tangled up”, it wasn’t frozen up, and I explained how the drag was set perfect. It had caught a fish no more than an hour ago.
Either the line at the rod tip got looped, or it snagged up on the JJ’s loop.
And the size of the fish clearly has a factor. A perch isn’t gonna flip the whole contraption. Even when the line loops around just before the last eye, it only adds drag.
As good as the JJ is, it couldn’t be more cheaply made. I mean it doesn’t need to be titanium, but some mass would make it much more stable. Slightest bit of water can effect the trigger, and the hole is wide open to freeze up.
And some form of securement for the rod would have given me enough time to save it. If your using a light rod and low drag, you may as well be using a tip up almost.
Line getting looped around rod tip or JJ loop(or the trigger that happens too if you aren't careful) is exactly what I meant by line tangled up...

I have caught 20+ lb lakers with my jaw jacker. As I stated in my post as long as your line and reel work properly(ie the fish can pull drag without it locking up flipping or destroying the jaw jacker) then it doesn't matter how big the fish is because all they will do is pull drag. Soon as something happens so that the drag isn't working properly then of course either the rod, line or jaw jacker is going to break or the jaw jacker flip over.

Tethering your rod is an option although that has obvious downsides as well so is a personal choice. If you are using a stradic on a custom rod might be a good idea though.

Making the jaw jacker heavy and strong enough to withstand a drag failure would mean using far more material, or heavier materials like metal which would add significant cost to both the manufacturing and distribution of their products. Are you willing to spend 200 bucks on a jaw jacker for the fraction of a % better chance you won't lose your rod? Most people aren't hence why they are built the way they are.