View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
There is a right way and a wrong to practice catch and release.

Using heavier tippet, fighting the fish faster, holding it in water while getting the hook out, using a barbless hook, cutting the line if hooked in gills or stomach, not dropping on rocks or boats, not freezing gills in snow and cold air, not squeezing the fish or putting fingers in gills… and more all goes to decreasing catch and release mortality.
Agree with everything but one you listed. If you have a fish take a hook deep enough to where it can’t be removed survival is low and if you are legal to keep it you should. It doesn’t rust out, it often becomes infected, creates impaction and I am pretty sure you have seen pics of fish with hooks poking out of their side from ingesting them

Really it’s more about using appropriate gear to prevent deeply hooked fish. If they are inhaling small offerings faster than you are setting the hook adjustments should be made. Different tactics or larger presentation

Yes if you can’t keep a fish and it’s deeply hooked cut the line but odds of survival is low. It can also be drawn out and slow.

seine netted enough fish out of private ponds to see a wide range of issues of trout that swallowed hooks.

I know you are only offering advice on good release tactics and not trying to pick on you. I just built a hatred for the often recommended cut the line and release a fish it will survive theory after seeing how it can often end up as a drawn out death