View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowl93 View Post
So I finally set myself up with a bow (it's an oldie but I can get really good groups and it shoots great for me) and I have never really been into the big game scene, hence the name waterfowler haha I'm new to my area but am willing to put in the time and the effort to get a bear! I've always wanted a bear but like I said kinda new to this all. Im young but mature and am willing to work for what I want, but putting safety first. I'm torn between doing spot and stalk or baiting. just curious to the pros and cons of each style! If anyone wants to bring me along to show me the ropes of how to get it done I'm all for it!

Cheers and happy hunting
Baiting ironically is the hardest hands down...driving, scouting, set up and maintaining baits is a lot of work...spot and stalk is way easy when it works...
Baiting can get very expensive also...hot baits have to be maintained and restocked every couple days...I have seen baits where full 45 gallon drum are licked clean overnight...
Bait stations will provide best shot probability thou however if setups are done correctly...

First bear I took with the bow on the ground was in a spot and stalk...not sure thou who was spot and stalkin who...I shot the bear running full out at me ... the bear started its run at 100yds sent the arrow on way at 10 yards from me ...bear ran by just mere feet from me and took the dirt nap...

Baits can be heart pumping but eye to eye spot and stalk can be heart stopping...lol

neil