View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 PM

The cost of having a guy come out and drill a few nice and deep holes (well below the frost line) and according to code is worth the money over the long run. I sunk my deck posts 8-9 feet and used 6x6's (pressure treated). Guy charged me like $200 to drill 4 piles with his bobcat.

To backfill and plumb your posts.

1) 3 scoops of 3/4" (20mm) crushed gravel and a scoop of portland cement - scoop it into your wheelbarrow and give it a few quick mixes dry.

2) Drop half a wheelbarrow in the hole and pack it down. I used spare long 2x4 I had kicking around.

3) Put the 6x6 post into the hole. Start filling around the post with the same mix packing it down every half wheelbarrow or so until it's full and packed dry. As you pound the 2x4 on one side the post will move that way - once she's plumb just keep packing around evenly. No post wrestling required - no bracing - no sweat.

The key thing here pack around as you go up and it will be solid and plumb.

Also do the post furthest from each other (on the far ends from each other) and then set up the posts in the middle so they line up nice and neatly. You can use a masons line to verify alignment.

4) When all the posts are done and you are happy with the alignment - water them all in and crack a beer and watch the concrete cure.

Don't look back - this is the proper way to do it.